When VIGV get stuck and will not properly rotate, or should borescoping indicate insipient failure is possible, you can turn to PAL Turbine Services, LLC to replace them without needing to remove the turbine/compressor rotor. A technique developed exclusively by PAL can be quoted at a firm price with a projected time frame (typically 2 weeks, 720 man hours), saving hundreds of thousands of dollars! A senior field engineer and mechanical supervisor will wbe included with a work crew of millwrights.
And there is value added in the process:
- Compressor UH forward casing can have the assembly lip machined off, per GE technical
information letter (TIL) recommendation.
- Number one turbine bearing can be inspected.
- Accessory Coupling can be inspected.
- Accessory gear to turbine alignment can be checked, and corrected, if needed.
- Borescope inspection can be accomplished, also including looking downstream into the compressor for erosion, corrosion and foreign object damage (FOD).